Monday, January 11, 2021

Why God does what He does


Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Now I will restore the fortunes of Jacob and have mercy on the whole house of Israel, and I will be jealous for my holy name.
Ezekiel 39:25

God suffers from no lack of motivation, neither are His actions prompted by anything less than holiness. He always does the right thing. He does so when He judges sin. He does so when He restores sinners. God’s justice, judgment, mercy, and grace are always firmly rooted in His unique holiness. This makes Him motivated completely differently than I am!

I must always apply the Word of God carefully to my motives. I must let the Spirit of God use the Word of God to examine my heart. I must deal with the reality that sin in me fatally corrupts even what I think are my best intentions and I must submit every thought and action captive to the redeeming Lordship of Jesus Christ! Truly loving God must be purged of my own motivation to love Him so I can get the life that I want. Loving neighbor can also be selfishly motivated if I do it so I can get the attention of those who are watching me. Sin gives me the desire to help others only so they can notice that I cared so much! I cannot say that I am motivated like God. He is jealous for His holy name. I am fixated on my own reputation way too much.

Lord,
You do what You do because You are holy, true, righteous, all-knowing, and all powerful. I am none of these, yet sin deceives me to act like I am in sovereign control of my own world. Keep me focused on worshiping You, my holy, loving, restoring God! Forgive my attempts at being focused only on me while lying to you and the world that I love You! I know mercy and restored life only because of what You have done for me, Lord Jesus! I did not earn it. I cannot do anything of merit to keep it. You have done it all for Your name’s sake. And I will humbly live in confession, repentance, and faith in Your power to save today.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment