Friday, January 29, 2021

“I received mercy.... and grace...”


I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 1:12-14

Every Christian shares this perspective on their salvation with the apostle Paul. We should be filled with overwhelming thankfulness for the good news that changed us because Jesus has done it all for us! Jesus has made all believers what they are today. It is not a result of self-effort or human achievement. Like Paul, we all have shameful, sinful former pasts now beautifully transformed by our Savior Who calls us into faithful service to Him. Jesus changes sinners. And we should marvel every time we think about it!

We aren’t what we were. We are now recipients of mercy through the cross. Guilty sinners are made holy, forgiven by the innocent blood of Jesus. That mercy saw us trapped in sin, ignorant in unbelief, and brought the gospel to us so that in trust of Christ we might be forever changed. We did not deserve such love, but it is now our story.

Jesus also showers us with grace. Paul describes it as overflowing. That grace spills out in faith and love for our Savior. It flows through us to help us trust God and love others like Jesus loves us. And that grace is why gospel proclamation is always a part of Christian worship and should move us as we speak truth into our world. We live because of Christ. We live for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment