Thursday, July 2, 2020

the blessedness of forgiveness


Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered.
Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity,
and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
Psalm 32:1-2

Bible scholars generally attribute this psalm of David to the period of time after his confession of sin in the whole Bathsheba incident. The “transgression” that God forgave involved adultery, abuse of power, lying, murder, conspiracy, and cover-up. But David would be confronted by God and would confess his sin. He would find forgiveness by God even though his life, and his kingdom, would never be quite the same.

There is a joy... a blessing that cannot be fully described... in the forgiveness that God gives. People can be fickle with forgiveness. But God is not that way. Look at the way in which David describes what God gave him: Transgression against God is forgiven. Sin is covered. No iniquity is counted against him. God grants a peace because deceit has been turned from with honest confession of sin. It is cause for praise when we repent and find God’s healing and restoring grace.

This was true for David as he followed the law, repented, offered sacrifices, and looked for a Deliverer yet to come. How much greater grace can we know in the full pardon and forgiveness now offered us in Christ?! I am blessed because Jesus carried my transgressions to the cross. I am blessed because He forgave me of ALL my sin. I am blessed because Jesus’ blood now covers every wrong! I am blessed because God, in gracious forgiving love now holds no iniquity against me, giving me the righteousness of Christ and adopting me as His own child. I am blessed when I continue to confess my wrong, not living in the deceit of thinking I can by holy or righteous without Jesus in my own efforts, but instead always trusting in what Jesus has done for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment