Friday, July 17, 2020

God of the good end


But Joseph said to them, “Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.”
Genesis 50:19-20

We are often puzzled by what is wrong in the world. And sin does seem to run amuck, even hurting innocent and good people when it does. But this does not mean God is unable to work His good purposes. Joseph’s story is a vivid reminder that God uses all things... even bad choices people intend for really bad reasons... to work for our good and His glory.

We might be tempted in all the disruption and uncertainty of this odd year of 2020 to feel that God is absent. He is not. He is writing even in this story a really good ending! We just must wait for it. I’m reminded of some Waterdeep lyrics:

You can leave right now
You can ring a bell
You can tell 'em you think I ain't doin' too well
But when I stood like you
I eventually fell
Go on and leave right now
Go on and ring your bell

I'm amazed by life
And it's amazed by me
We're a strange old pair- me and eternity
It don't make good sense
It ain't easy to see
But I'm amazed by life
And it's amazed by me

It's a long hard road
With a good, good end
And if I keep on walking on past the crooked bend
I will meet my Maker
I will meet my Friend
It's a long hard road
With a good, good end

No comments:

Post a Comment