Monday, July 27, 2020

a beautiful body


But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
1 Corinthians 12:18-20

One of the beautiful parts of life in Christ is the experience of Christian community within the local church, His Body. God takes a diverse collection of individuals that He has uniquely created, and by His Spirit’s gifting and His Son’s saving work, the Father unites them into a Body where each member, uniquely gifted and placed, serves Him and ministers to the other members of the church. This unity within individual diversity is a glorious experience and is unmatched by anything else in the world. The church members care for one another as they bring the gospel to the world. It creates a sweet fellowship and family. I first knew this as a child fifty years ago when I knew firsthand the joy of knowing my family could minister and be ministered to within the local church.

And I believe the church is still this wonderful, caring community. It is my family. Even in 2020, with church services and ministries stretched and repurposed due to the contagious nature of COVID19, we still serve one another, and I must say this: the local church is still quite strong, thank you! Every request that my church (Mill Creek Community Church in Shawnee, KS) has put out to the attenders regarding a family or a person in need has been filled quickly, lovingly, and without lack! The Body of Christ does not fall ill in terms of ministry during a pandemic. The church continues to be strong, responding with grace, helpful resources, the sustaining message of the gospel to those who need to believe it, and the healing care of Christ.

Lord God,
I am thankful that You have made the Church the Body of Christ. When I was at my neediest as a young man, I never felt alone because Christians cared for me in a local church. And as I still have breath and life, I will work within Your Body as You have gifted me. I want to make sure nobody misses the care of Christ, the saving message of the gospel, the growth in Christ that comes in the fellowship of the redeemed, or the chance to serve as You have created them to do so. And as local churches follow You in this way around this world, You get the glory for this beautiful Body, Lord Jesus!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment