Tuesday, May 26, 2020

impossibly clean

Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean?
There is not one.
Job 14:4

It is impossible for sinners to make amends before a holy God by their own efforts. Even Job knew that the unclean cannot produce a clean thing. That which is unholy cannot make holy happen. Sinners can’t make themselves holy. Only God can make a sinner clean.

What Job knew as reality is still quite true today, but with one very beautiful change: Jesus Christ will turn sinners into saints! All those who will admit their sin and powerlessness to make their lives better on their own, who will trust in His death as Jesus took the sinner’s punishment upon Himself, and believe in His resurrection by which He offers the hope of everlasting life; those who will turn from sin to trust and follow their Savior, letting Him lead them in a new life... all these will find their sins forgiven and the holy life of Christ now given to them! What they could not do, God has done in Jesus! Jesus brings the clean to the unclean. He is the only One Who can do this.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me, 
let me hide myself in thee; 
let the water and the blood, 
from thy wounded side which flowed, 
be of sin the double cure; 
save from wrath and make me pure. 


Not the labors of my hands 
can fulfill thy law's demands; 
could my zeal no respite know, 
could my tears forever flow, 
all for sin could not atone; 
thou must save, and thou alone. 


Nothing in my hand I bring, 
simply to the cross I cling; 
naked, come to thee for dress; 
helpless, look to thee for grace; 
foul, I to the fountain fly; 
wash me, Savior, or I die. 


While I draw this fleeting breath, 
when mine eyes shall close in death, 
when I soar to worlds unknown, 
see thee on thy judgment throne, 
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,                    let me hide myself in thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment