Thursday, May 14, 2020

stripped down to a good God


Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you.”
Psalm 16:1-2

God is good, even when life is hard. He cannot do wrong to me, of that I am sure. So even when life circumstances change, God does not change. He is the same. He is good and I have confidence then to pray a prayer asking Him to keep me when I experience uncertainty. He will be my refuge because He is a good God in hard times.

God is good, even when life is hard. His care is perfect, He is always righteous, just, holy, loving and always saves those who trust in Him. God cannot fail. He will not stop loving me, even when I struggle to love and trust Him. God is only good and that is why I know I will find good things while trusting and obeying Him.

I have learned the last 60 days that I was way too content in many things that had little to do with trusting God. I found false comfort, security, and sense of worth in my routine, through interactions with other people that I made my soul’s support, through weekly plans and tasks I made my trust, in assured times of recreation I made my pleasure, and through people pleasing that I made my reward. But all that has been turned upside down. And in this necessary and good upheaval, I have had to confront issues in my soul. I have had to take refuge in God... not in my plans... my routine... or in my people.

One song I have sung a lot recently has been Matt Redman’s “The Heart of Worship”. All is stripped away, and Jesus still shines!

Lord,
Thank You for this reminder that I have no good thing apart from You. All the things I trusted in were gifts from You that were meant to pull my heart into deeper worship of You. Instead, I made them my refuge instead of You, Lord Jesus. I confess this is my wrong. I come to You now, receiving Your forgiving mercy, and hiding once again in the secure refuge of Your steadfast love. You are immensely good even as life has changed. I have no good apart from You! And in that truth I will be content... rejoicing that my God is so very good.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment