Wednesday, February 27, 2019

how to deal with guilt

I confess my iniquity;
I am sorry for my sin.
Psalm 38:18

Awareness of sin hurts. It works in us a true guilt, the purpose of which is to lead us to God Who alone can forgive our sin. But when guilt is not dealt with through God’s atoning work, all sorts of shame can make a ruin of our lives. The descriptions David gives to His state of life in Psalm thirty-eight shows us a man ready to come to God in confession after his own efforts to hide sin have piled up shame and led to despair.

His symptoms are classic shame-ridden depression:
> He feels the conviction of sin from God (Psalm 38:1-2).
> He is physically sick with shame (Psalm 38:3, 7, 10).
> It all weighs heavily on him (Psalm 38:4-6).
> He is sad (Psalm 38:6, 8).
> He groans and sighs (Psalm 38:9).
> He feels abandoned and alone (Psalm 38:11).
> He fears hurt from other people (Psalm 38:12).

David’s only hope is to come to God in confession of sin. His faith leads him to godly sorrow, to repentance, and to waiting on the Lord’s answer of deliverance (Psalm 38:15). He is then confident that only God can save (Psalm 38:22).

When my awareness of sin hurts, a quick expression of my sinful sorrow and confession of my sin are always the best response. Acknowledging my wrong and accepting that only in Christ is my forgiveness found saves me from further guilt and shame. Otherwise my selfish, sinful, moralistic efforts to better my situation only mire my guilt in a cesspool of shame. God will deliver my heart from guilt and shame. Jesus’ blood washes my guilt free to know the loving grace of my Savior! Then I can wait again for new life as he is my deliverance. The beauty of sins forgiven confidently in Christ far outweighs the pain of bearing shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment