Tuesday, February 5, 2019

divisive discipleship

Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Matthew 10:37

Jesus says some very hard things about discipleship in this extended “commissioning” of His twelve apostles. He has told them to expect persecution. He has told them that their message may not be warmly received. He has told them to expect that the preaching of the gospel will turn sinners against them. There is an edge to the truth that offends and cuts like a sword, and Jesus has brought this sword to the earth. Where this is not received, opposition will inevitably arise. And this opposition may get intensely person.

Jesus prepares us to be ready to find the dearest of our relationships divided over our allegiance to following Christian faith. Fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters will divide over Jesus. Ouch. The exclusive nature of discipleship will divide the closest of earthly relationships. Following Jesus is more important than even those people dearest to us. Love that parents have for their kids CANNOT be greater than their love for Christ. Children cannot love their parents more than Jesus. Love for Christ must inform all other relationships. This is very hard. It isn’t a happy experience.

My success as a disciple is not found in my family looking like a cover model for a Sunday School quarterly. Family is very important, obviously, but discipleship is about Jesus. People will be fickle. People (including me) will sin. And that sin disappoints us and hurts us. Jesus, however, will not. And so these words anchor my motivations for discipleship deeper than mere family or outward appearances. I must love Jesus most. My allegiance is exclusively to my Savior first before I even stand a chance of loving my family well. If my own family rejects Him, I will not.

Jesus,
I accept these hard words as the truth about following You. I want to be worthy of You, I want to follow You. I want those closest to me to follow You too. I want You to transform me as I am Your disciple. And You are my first love.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment