Monday, February 25, 2019

above abundance


Better is the little that the righteous has
than the abundance of many wicked.
For the arms of the wicked shall be broken,
but the Lord upholds the righteous.
Psalm 37:16-17

These are true words that realign our values that tend to warp in worldly ways if we are not careful. These two verses are really challenging the kinds of things we will trust. I see a clarifying question at work here that helps me understand the point being made: Will I trust the stuff of this world to bring me life and satisfaction, or will I trust faith in God to do so?

All of scripture as it points to the gospel of Jesus Christ calls me to faith. All of culture influenced by a sinful world system and the devil’s schemes would have me trust in stuff. And even as I commit to a life of faith, the siren call of materialism, pride, and the lust of the eyes is constantly doing battle in my heart. It isn’t easy.

From a temporary viewpoint it looks like “the abundance of many wicked” people gives them happiness. It parades itself in my Facebook feed or Apple News digest. I just saw it in my notification pop ups on my phone while typing up this post. I didn’t watch even one second of it, but the Oscars last night were a worship service to rejection of God’s truth as the abundant wicked strutted their stuff on the red carpet. Sure... I know there are Christians in Hollywood, but the last time I can remember a positive Christians portrayal winning an Oscar was “Chariots of Fire” 37 YEARS ago! Culturally, the dollars (and glory) all go to the worldly status quo.

I am convinced though that I will be rich beyond measure in owning nothing but Christ. I’ve seen this wealth in the lives of village pastors in Africa. I’ve met Christians under persecution in China who get this so much better than I do. And they are generous with their love of Christ. I too, long to be generous with His blessing, not so that I can “prove I was right” but instead to enjoy the real life such freedom from materialism brings. I will prize the gospel, share it, guard it, treasure it in my heart, live for it, knowing God upholds me in Christ. The gospel lifts me above worldly abundance to find the treasure of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment