Friday, February 15, 2019

all in

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
Matthew 13:44

Jesus sparks joy. Not stuff... not a cleaner house. The prospects of eternal life and of a fulfilled life as His disciple give Christians an unimagineably intense joy. Nothing compares to this. Christians value Christ’s rule in their lives above all else. He re-orders our priorities. He changes our values. We orient all of our lives around the good news that Jesus saves us and changes us and brings true fulfillment.

As I read this kingdom parable, I am struck by the joy of the man who finds the treasure. He knows he will lack nothing once the treasure is his, but first he must own the field. So he willingly divests himself of everything else he has because the return on this investment is staggeringly immense. He goes “all in” because the field is more valuable than anything else around him that he currently owns. And he gains joy in the joy of knowing this.

Through the gospel I know that the kingdom of heaven at rule in my heart is a vast treasure. It will take me into eternity. It brings great joy knowing sin is no longer my master. I am free. So I will go “all in” with what I have. Stuff is only stuff and must be used to open the treasure chest of the kingdom! It is useful as it buys the treasure! And it is the treasure of the gospel that is my valued hope. It is my sustainer, my joy, and my salvation. It is Jesus and His Way that is worth everything! 

No comments:

Post a Comment