Friday, February 8, 2019

always to seek


You have said, “Seek my face.”
My heart says to you,
“Your face, Lord, do I seek.”
Psalm 27:8

Deliverance begins with obedience. And obedi3nce is rooted in trusting God’s Word. David wrote this psalm all about God’s protection in life’s dangers. It was the story of his life in many ways. In fact, a vast number of David’s songs in the Book of Psalms deal with how David turned to God when he was literally under attack from people who wanted him dead.

David survived. And David’s faith was actually strengthened by these experiences. Adversity led him not to feed his doubt of God, but instead, to trust God all the more intensely. He found strength in crying out in prayer for the Lord’s care. He turned to obey God’s command. He trusted God’s Word.

I suppose it is easy to trust God, to say that I seek Him when things are going well. But when things are not going as I had hoped... when life gets hard... when I am misunderstood... when a conflict arises from an unexpected source... all these sorts of things become challenges to seeking God first. But David’s resolve informs what I must do.

Jesus phrased this sort of mindset eloquently in the Sermon on the Mount: “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness...” Jesus promised that our lives would be significant by so doing. And so I will seek... in good times and in hard times.

Jesus,
You said to seek your kingdom...
Your kingdom, Lord, I will seek.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment