Monday, January 29, 2018

my refuge. my shepherd.


The Lord is the strength of his people;
he is the saving refuge of his anointed.
Oh, save your people and bless your heritage!
Be their shepherd and carry them forever.
Psalm 28:8-9

The LORD is a saving refuge. He is my safety and my song of deliverance. I will find my refuge and strength in Him all my days, forever kept secure and led by His grace. Jesus made this happen for all those who have trusted in His saving work for them on the cross. Those who have turned from sin to their Savior know the power of sins forgiven, a life changed, and the shepherding love of our strong Savior!

It is Monday morning as I write these reflections. I am fighting gettting drawn away into the wildness of a week that I know I have ahead of me. I have a full week of shepherding others ahead of me and it is so very hard not to jump into that schedule challenge ahead of reflecting on what I need to right now in the Word. But I really need the saving refuge from this intimidating week ahead of me. I already feel the anxiety of ministering to hurting people tug me from my Savior with thoughts like: “What if I say the wrong thing?” “How can I possibly help these people?” “My own personal failures disqualify me from having anything helpful to say.” “I don’t WANT to hear more pain and cry with these people!” “Caring for these needs will draw me again from time with my family.” And those are all thoughts that must be confessed to my Savior now. Jesus must be my refuge now so I can let Him use me to help others who hurt.

Shepherd of my soul,
Every day this week I will need You to shepherd me so that I can shepherd others to You, Lord Jesus. I feel unworthy and unready for this task without You. Be my saving refuge from this storm. You save Your people, and not me, so help me to just be faithful to show them You, Lord Jesus... to point to You, and the gospel, and Your Word. I repent of my insecurities and sinful cowardice. Then, You will carry me through!
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment