Monday, January 22, 2018

flakes for complainers


“I have heard the grumbling of the people of Israel. Say to them, ‘At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall be filled with bread. Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God.’”
Exodus 16:12

God was wonderfully gracious by miraculously feeding a nation of complainers in the wilderness. The Israelites grumbled in the harsh desert environment. They began to miss what they saw as easier lives in Egypt where even though they were slaves, they still had safe homes and food to eat. They griped to Moses, but it was really God that they were not trusting.

God knew their complaints and He was providing food for them that would feed them well and quiet their whining, though they would only stop briefly. 

In the evening vast swarms of quail flew into the camp and the people ate the small birds to their fill. The next morning manna lay on the ground and was gathered and made into bread. And in this way Israel was fed by God. They still had to catch and dress quail. They still had to gather manna flakes and grind it into flour to bake bread. But God gave them abundant resources by which they would live under His care. Grace came in little birds, and little frosty flakes upon the ground.

Just like Israel in the wilderness, I do not deserve daily grace. I grumble at life. I can complain. But Jesus died for my idolatrous, unbelieving, selfish heart. He rose to provide everything for me. And in Him I am given a morning feast of grace every day. I gather His provision and am satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment