Thursday, January 4, 2018

in peace


In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

The LORD provides peaceful rest for all who will come to Him by faith. He is our peace. And through Jesus every barrier to peace with God has been removed. Our sins are atoned by His sacrifice. Our eternity is secured by His resurrection. Our acceptance in Christ by coming to God through Jesus is assured. We know peace when we know Jesus.

I find no peace outside of Jesus. There are pleasures in this world that may temporarily suspend life’s pains, but only Jesus is my lasting peace. There are activities I enjoy that can occupy my mind and keep me busy, but they are only fulfilling when my faith in Christ is a part of them. There are cycles of life and death, of joy and of sorrow, of contentment and of need, but only Jesus can bring sense to the cycle. All of my life in some way points to Him.

I am blessed in the peace of Christ. I know this. And now in late middle age I sense the permanence of that peace looming for eternity and I embrace that thought with joy, not fear. The God Who gives relief in distress, Who is gracious and hears me (Psalm 4:1), Who has set me apart for Himself (Psalm 4:3), and Who has put more joy in my heart than any earthly abundance ever could do (Psalm 4:7)... that God is my peace! I am safely in God’s peace, and with that confidence I will always rest my heart in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment