Monday, October 3, 2016

warnings and promises

 
For the simple are killed by their turning away,
and the complacency of fools destroys them;
but whoever listens to me will dwell secure
and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.
Proverbs 1:32-33

It is not a good thing to disregard the wisdom of the Lord. Whether a person willfully turns away from it, or just has a casual "meh" response to God's truth, the result is the same: death and destruction. The Book of Proverbs opens with this ominous warning in order to convince us to pay attention to the wisdom God gives.

I have read through Proverbs at least once per year from the time I was sixteen. And the wisdom found here is personally profound. What I have learned from it has spared me sorrow and pain. And what I have refused to take seriously or have neglected to trust has cost me dearly. The warning of Proverbs 1:32 as well as the promise of Proverbs 1:33 have both been real for me.

O Lord,
Your wisdom has sustained and protected me. Thank You for the truth of Your Word. Yet I have not always trusted Your wisdom. And in my complacency, my foolishness has hurt both You and me. May Your wisdom call me to repent and obey today!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment