Tuesday, September 6, 2016

treasures of the heart

 
The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil.
Matthew 12:35

My heart holds the treasure that spills out into my life. If my life is marked by wrong actions and hurtful words, it is because these things come up from within me. What's more, it is because my heart treasured the things that mark my life. So to understand Jesus on human behavior is to understand how the heart motivates us to produce the actions and consequences that mark our lives.

I'm asking myself: what do I treasure? The answer to that question is found in the results of my life. It can be seen and known by others. And in the era of social media, it is broadcast to the world. Facebook is one big panorama of human values and hearts on display.

How my heart needs just one constant treasure! How hard it is to focus on what I need to value! I must value Jesus as supreme so that His words might flow from my lips, His worship be known in my life, His actions mark my days. And all else that tries to be a treasure will show up in broken people, hurting relationships, and the pain that came as a curse upon sin. From those heart treasures I must repent. Those are evil treasures. And in the repentance is a cultivated commitment to treasure what is good so that I can share from the good treasures the beauty and power and glory of my Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment