Monday, September 19, 2016

can't keep sinning

 
We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.
1 John 5:18

Sin makes Christians absolutely miserable. We cannot simultaneously claim allegiance to our sinless Savior, living in Jesus' family and embrace a sinful lifestyle or practice. The two are mutually exclusive. If I have been born of God I cannot keep on in a sinful lifestyle. The Holy Spirit convicts me. My sin is before me. I must repent and seek Christ's pardoning blood and the Father's merciful forgiveness.

Jesus promises to protect me from life dominating sins. Jesus protects me by His Spirit residing within me and His forgiveness being immediately accessible as I commit to a regular lifestyle pattern of confession and repentance (1 John 1:9). He is always there and always faithful.

The sinful temptations that Satan has for me do not need to touch me. But if they do, Jesus is ready to respond to my repentance so that sin does not need to have dominion over me. And that is a blessed joy and a powerful truth each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment