Tuesday, September 1, 2015

worthy of his calling

To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

If any Christian life results in the glory of God, God must empower that believer to live to that end. That's what this prayer of Paul's for the church in Thessalonica instructs us to understand and practice. It calls us to trust God so that He may do in us and with us all that is good, that our work of faith would lift the name of Jesus high.

Good intentions are not enough. I believe most Christians would say that they "intend" to live godly lives. But the issue is that our flesh is incapable on its own. We will fail if we don't get at this task under the Spirit's leading and with God's power enabling us. We must follow what God does in us so that our intentions become His purposes.

Lord,
I want to live a life worthy of Your calling upon me. But sin in me weakens me. I was born a spiritually dead person and only Your Spirit can give me life. That is true in my salvation and also in my sanctification. Make me worthy as Your new creation in Christ. May my resolve to do good be because Christ's righeousness is good. May the ministry You entrust to me be done by the faith that You provide. May Your power be the strength others see in me.

And I pray for these things not so that I mak look impressive but so that the name of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ may be glorified in You, O God. May Your grace overflow in me.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment