Tuesday, September 29, 2015

words of eternal life

For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me.
John 12:49-50

In this declaration, Jesus makes an amazing claim: He only obeyed all that God the Father told Him to speak. His every word is the Word of God. This is why the Father could also testify of the Son, both at His baptism and the Transfiguration: "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. All of you... listen to Him!" When Jesus spoke, the very Word of God that made the universe and planet earth, the word that commanded the sun, moon, and stars to appear out of nothing was speaking in Jesus.

Jesus claimed that every word He spoke to the disciples, to the crowds, even to the Pharisees and gentiles, was what the Father commanded Him to speak. So as we read the gospels, we are seeing what God has spoken in Jesus. Jesus said that the outcome of His Word was nothing short of eternal life. So it is true that if we really want to know what it is to live forever, we better listen to and obey the words of Jesus. To seek Jesus is to find life.

Lord Jesus,
Today I seek to hear Your words. And in so doing, I will find You not in a strange internal nudge, or in the dew shining on a flower petal, nor in the smile of a child. I will find You in the Word of God, as You ARE the Word of God, speaking God's Word because Jesus... You are God! The gospels are Your Word to me. They are precious, for in You is my life. You want me to live with You Whose Words are eternal life. And as I trust in You Who died for me so that I may live, I will let Your words guide me to share the good news to a world that needs to know You died and now live again so that we might have the words of eternal life.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment