Thursday, September 3, 2015

camping in His presence

Thus did the people of Israel. According to all that the Lord commanded Moses, so they camped by their standards, and so they set out, each one in his clan, according to his fathers' house.
Numbers 2:34

God organized the camp of Israel in the wilderness. How else could such a large nomadic nation stay together? At the center of the camp was the tabernacle, where God was worshiped and His presence was visible with a pillar of smoke and fire. Around the tabernacle each tribe had its unique position and in each tribal campground, each clan encamped in a specific location. Everything was ordered by family and deliberately focused on the importance of the worship of Yahweh.

Out of worship, Israel's life was ordered. God provided the manna, they collected it and ate. Every aspect of their lives was one of dependence upon the Lord, even as each Israelite awakened to each new wilderness sunrise to find their tent door opening to a view of God's presence over the tabernacle.

In one sense for me, that same idea of ordering life around God is necessary. My house however does not face my church building! But my life must be ordered with a Christ focus. I believe strongly that scripture is that focus. I open its pages first thing each morning to see the presence of God and to hear His voice. I keep the bible and its message close in front of me at various points of my day. It is in my pockets, in my hands, before my eyes consistently because God knows that I need it and I believe that I must encamp around His presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment