Monday, September 14, 2015

not so fast,,,

If one gives an answer before he hears,
it is his folly and shame.
Proverbs 18:13

Hasty advice is no help at all, but in the age of Facebook and Twitter, where a friend can tell us about an experience half a world away seconds after it happens, I'm afraid hasty words rule my world. It is one of the real dangers of social media, and the scriptures call us to consider whether it is healthy to quickly jump into that comment thread!

It is not unusual to have someone send a post or tweet out about a ministry activity or a sermon DURING the event. Particularly with the teaching of God's Word, my hope is that it would cause us to think and make deliberate commitments to God's truth. I would rather enter into a series of discussions over months as someone processes the truth of scripture and responds to the work of the Holy Spirit than have ten thousand likes on that clever post in Facebook. It takes times to carefully listen to what God hast o say to us!

Lord,
Make me a listener. Help me to care by listen SLOWLY and CAREFULLY to You and with true attention to my brothers and sisters in Christ. I don't want to be a shameful speed counselor who answers fast and thinks little! I want to give careful attention to Your Word and Your people, becuase Your Word is the only truth, and Your people are precious enough to You that You died for them.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment