Wednesday, October 25, 2023

waters, streams, pools, and springs


For waters break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;
the burning sand shall become a pool,
and the thirsty ground springs of water;
in the haunt of jackals, where they lie down,
the grass shall become reeds and rushes.
Isaiah 35:6b-7

This wilderness stretches as far as I can see;
Miles and miles of dry rocks before me.
Yet water flows from rock in this dry land;
Unleashed by the grace of God’s loving hand.

A desert wasteland seems barren and dry;
I wonder how long until I die.
Pausing to wonder what all this heat and pain can mean
I am rewarded with the wonder of a cool, flowing stream.

Beneath my feet is burning sand —
The depth of dryness in this land
is punishing, pain-filled, hard, and cruel
yet You, Lord, pour out a refreshing pool.

This thirsty ground… this desperate man
cries out to God with all that I am:
“Quench me, Lord! It’s all that matters!”
…and up explodes Your springs of water!

Desert jackals growl and cry;
Even my own soul will whimper and sigh.
But then cracked, broken ground which once was mean
is turned lush and reedy, verdant and green!

I now know, Lord, that deserts bloom
with Your healing touch You make room
for refreshing waters, flowing streams;
My wilderness is no longer what it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment