Monday, October 16, 2023

I’m nothing special.


“For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who has been his counselor?”
“Or who has given a gift to him
that he might be repaid?”
Romans 11:34-35

God needs none of us. God owes none of us. The quicker we realize that grace is not an entitlement, the better we are positioned to truly worship God and serve others. 

I’m nothing special. By that I mean this: I’ve done nothing to impress God… to make Him draft me for His kingdom based on my performance. Anything that is good in me is there solely because Christ has redeemed me. Anything productive, attractive, or noticeable in my character or achievement has come about by God’s transformative work in Christ alone. I brought nothing to that process. I needed saving, renewing, rebuilding, and equipping. All of that was done in Christ, with His Word and His Spirit doing everything! I brought only a broken mess to Him. That’s all I have ever done. It’s what I still do!

I don’t tell God what He should do. In fact, my worst prayers may demand of Him. My best prayers, however, while offering complaint or lament, are tempered with a yielded firm trust that God does indeed control me and knows what He is doing. He never needs any counsel, let alone my warped, selfish perspective! But I need His! And as I have heeded it, only then can I say something good has been done by Him through me. His mind is amazing! His thoughts are far beyond me! His purposes are so much deeper! His ways are not mine, but are always acting for my best and for His glory.

I don’t give or serve to try to manipulate God. I can’t. My gifts are meager… a child’s popsicle stick creation compared to His glorious gifts to me. I don’t serve Him to get what I want. I follow Jesus instead so that His desires will control my desires. I yield to His will, even when I must accept trial and suffering. My circumstances under His guidance will end with a result that is infinitely good and infinitely greater than my plan.

I don’t know His mind except to yield to His thoughts in the revelation of His Word. I don’t give to get back, yet He showers me with gracious care ALL THE TIME! Thank You, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment