Monday, April 3, 2023

investment and reward


For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
Matthew 25:29

Our Lord is gracious and loving. Jesus understands us. He forgives us. But just because He gives such great kindness does not mean He has no expectations from us as we seek to follow Him. He will not reward selfish living. That is the lesson of the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25. Jesus expects us to apply ourselves in multiplying by our own efforts and obedience the gifts that He blesses us to use for His glory.

This isn’t meant to stress us, but the fact that we will one day give an account to Jesus for how we invested for His glory His gifts to us should definitely motivate Christians. He longs to speak blessing and applaud us. All it takes is for us to long to be like Jesus with who we are and with what we have. We all have something to invest. Everyone of us can do this. Be generous. Be caring. Be kind. Get your head out of your own interests long enough to truly care about the lives of other people. See hearts, not just bodies. Look past social status and see the gripping need of every person. Hurt is everywhere, masquerading in filtered selfies, hiding behind gated communities and privacy fences as well as out in the open in a homeless camp. Both hurts are equally tragic. Sin destroys from within. Jesus loves all people and longs to fill each hungry heart! He has called Christians to pour His love out into every kind of need everywhere. One person can’t do it alone. But collectively, if we would see how vital it is to care, each of us could make a difference WHERE WE ARE and meet every kind of need.

Kindness, love, and sharing the gospel in word and in our actions is the most rewarding way to live! It is an adventure of the highest joy. I am convinced of it and do not regret that wanting to steward life in this way has meant I have walked a different path not driven by career, income, accumulation, or pleasure alone. The investment in the lives and the powerful stories God writes in each individual I’ve gotten to truly know in my life is a source of overflowing joy, even as it is also at times emotionally and spiritually intense. I’d rather have the intensity than the lulling rust of selfish lethargy! 

I am currently working through a season of reflection and reception. So many people… at this point literally hundreds of people… people I have know for over four decades and many more recent friendships, all have given back to me in my whirlwind of loss and hurt. In many ways God cashed in my investment and I am floored by the wealth of joy friends have brought me. I will keep pouring into people. I will know their stories. I will let them help write my story! The tale is thrilling. How can I not then believe that Jesus will reward my continued investment for His kingdom in this last act of the drama of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment