Monday, September 26, 2022

Christ’s authority


Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.
John 14:10

Jesus is Who He is because He is God. There is no debating that the gospels show us that Jesus claims to be God. This is one of the most vivid examples. Jesus teaches about His deity to the disciples who were closest to Him. His closeness to the Father is because Jesus is God, just as the Father is God. And He submits to the Father’s authority, only speaking, and only doing, what the Father would say or do. Whoever has seen Jesus has seen the Father. Whoever has heard Jesus has heard the words that God has spoken. Whoever has seen the works of Jesus has seen what the Father does.

Jesus’ authority is God’s authority. That is why regularly reading the gospels is so important for Christians to do. We need the constant reminder of what Jesus says and does so that we too can see and hear from God. We need exposure to our Savior. We need God’s authority in the words of Jesus. We need God’s authority in the works of Jesus. We need to see God at work in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ our Lord.

Today, Lord, may I keep my eyes on You. As I see You, Jesus, I see the Father. As I hear and heed Your voice, I surrender to the authority of God. As I worship You and Your saving work by faith, I am changed to glorify God the Father through the work of His Son.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment