Tuesday, June 21, 2022

wisdom in community


A wise man is full of strength,
and a man of knowledge enhances his might,
for by wise guidance you can wage your war,
and in abundance of counselors there is victory.
Proverbs 24:5-6

It is not good to live life in seclusion. A wise God wisely calls us to seek community with those who wish to know God’s wisdom. And that is what makes truly wise people. A wise man never goes it alone. Nobody is smart enough to figure out life by themselves. We need God’s wisdom. We need a community of counselors committed with us to seeking God’s leadership and wisdom.

As I reflect upon this proverb, I see that God has blessed me with that experience all my life. Through the ministry of the church, God has given me wise friends and mentors that have carried me through life and given my victory in many of my battles. Various teachers, church leaders, and good friends have been used by God to give me strength, knowledge, and guidance. Some were there for just a short season. Some have gone on to heaven. I have many still who have been available most of my life. And in that truth I am blessed.

Now I am in a life stage where for a couple of decades God has asked me to also counsel others. And as a person whose only life successes are because of the way that a wise God provided wise counselors, I recognize with seriousness the privilege of that calling and relationship with people. A wise God wisely lets me speak His wisdom (never really my own) into the lives of others. This strengthens Christians, instructs God’s people, gives guidance to fellow warriors, and allows us to experience life victories together. And I am grateful for God’s gracious provision of an abundance of counselors along life’s road.

No comments:

Post a Comment