Tuesday, June 14, 2022

The Servant’s Leadership


For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves.
Luke 22:27

Jesus gave this instruction in the Last Supper. He had just instituted His own memorial meal emphasizing His upcoming death on the cross. The Lord’s Table was created to keep all disciples well aware of what Jesus has done for us. At the end of this sharing and bread and wine in awareness of Jesus’ death for sin, Jesus also informed His disciples that one of them would betray Him. They disciples immediately defensively question each other over who that might be (Luke 22:23). Simultaneously they also began to argue about who among them was the greatest. I imagine each of them saying something like: “I won’t betray Jesus! I’m His greatest disciple!” It was pretty childish and totally insensitive to everything that had just happened. Jesus pauses to teach them once again.

Greatness comes not in authority, power, or ability, but in humility and service. In Jesus’ topsy-turkey kingdom, the servants are great. The irony is not lost on the disciples. All of them have reclined at this Passover table. Jesus has already been serving them when He washed their feet. Peter and John prepared this Passover (Luke 22:8-0), but it was Jesus Who was the servant all night already. He had just told them minutes earlier He would die and that communion was to be the means in which they centered regularly to humbly admit their need of salvation and remember His ultimate act of service. His example must motivate servant leadership among His people.

Lord Jesus,
To serve You and to serve others is to worship You. Help me keep my eyes on this truth. You have blessed me with a lifetime of learning to serve Your church. I’ve been blessed to serve a quarter century now this year at my current church home. Forgive me when I want acclaim. Forgive my selfish attitudes of being great. May I never claim to be entitled to any recognition or applause. You are the big deal in my life and I am content to be Your servant. Keep me humble. Keep me content in serving joyfully, busily, with humility for Your glory! You are the One Who serves Your church. I will serve You.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment