Tuesday, May 17, 2022

better words to build up


Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense,
but a man of understanding remains silent.
Proverbs 11:12

I’ve been guilty of it: a quipped joke at the expense of another person. In an attempt to get a laugh, win over someone else, or just make myself feel like others might like me, I’ve regrettably belittled another person that God wonderfully and powerfully created in His image. It is easy to do this if you forget we are all created by God to reflect His glory. Couple that with a wicked sense of sarcasm and wounding words can easily roll off my tongue.

The simple truth of this proverb is that the wisdom of God does not do this. It is not rude, insulting, selfishly ridiculing, or disrespectful of people that God has called us to love with His gospel. When you truly treat other people with respect, it is part of truly respecting our Creator. Simply lashing out is not what God does. Neither should I. Even if I think it is good for a cheap laugh. Even if I think they are acting foolishly.

My prayer is that God will help me to wisely keep silent rather than damage with sarcasm. Better yet, I hope God might actually share words of hope and encouragement instead! My hope is to see that obedience in this matter would draw me into a deeper appreciation of God and what He does. O Lord, help me guard my words, fill my heart and my responses with Your grace as I love my neighbor as You have called me to do.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment