Friday, May 14, 2021

various trials


Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
James 1:2-4

If ever there has been a timely reminder from scripture, it is this one from James. Of course it was written to strengthen the early church in its first experience of severe, life-upending persecution. Christians were being killed for their commitment to Christ. The church had scattered across Judaea and into other parts of the Roman Empire. James wrote these words to keep believers strong, knowing God would strengthen their faith even in their difficulty in order to bring growth and maturity in Christ. And the Lord was good even in their extreme trial. The gospel prospered. Their faith blossomed and spread to the known world.

These same words of comfort strengthen me. I’ve known a year of trials of various kinds. There were cultural trials like I have never seen before, personal health trials that will only continue, ministry trials in ways I could not have imagined, and the upending of everything with a worldwide pandemic transforming day to day life virtually overnight! Looking around me, I see other people, Christian and non-Christian alike, still reeling from these various experiences.

I will trust that God is bringing about a good work through these things. He knows what He is doing. He is spotlighting the gospel, strengthening His Church, confirming the true confession of faith, and reaching a world that has the greatest need of Jesus! Personally, I will look for God to grow my patience and my endurance in faith as this passage confirms. I hope for a more mature understanding of my Savior. And I will trust that despite the difficulties, God is ensuring that His Church is lacking nothing. Various trials are God’s good means to His provision, grace, care, and my growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment