Wednesday, May 19, 2021

brothers and companions


For my brothers and companions' sake
I will say, “Peace be within you!”
Psalm 122:8

This psalm of ascents was meant to be a call to prayer sung by Jewish pilgrims as they climbed Mount Zion to the temple for festivals and worship in Jerusalem. As they approached the city, they would pray for the peace of the city. But this was no generic duty. The psalm puts perspective on the people needing peace. It personalizes it. Pilgrims prayed for the peace of Jerusalem for the sake of relatives and friends traveling with them to worship the Lord there.

That principle is eye-opening. One reason I should want to obey God and seek His blessing is for the love of the people I care about. If I love God, love His worship, love His people and places, I will also be truly loving by friends and family. God will bless them by extension in my sincere love, obedience, and prayers.

Lord,
You have blessed me with many brothers and companions along this pilgrimage of life. Jesus, may I follow You, trust You, seek Your forgiveness, confess sin and worship You so that Your blessings will fill my life and the lives of my brothers and my companions!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment