Thursday, May 6, 2021

a better country


But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
Hebrews 11:16

Faith wants above all else a life, a hope, a future that is greater than what is found right now. It looks to the final future that God alone provides. It does not give up on this world, but only realizes that God is doing something much greater than right now. Faith helps us embrace a nomadic view of our lifestyle. We are passing through this earthly land. It isn’t a bad thing to do. We trust God on our journey. He has designed us for it. The pilgrimage is an epic adventure to embrace, enjoy, and be thrilled by! Yet we know… there is a better destination ahead. We are going to God’s celestial city!

Faith invests its resources and strength in that eternal reality. We, as Jesus commanded, lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven. We keep ramblin ’ on… looking for the city built by God for us. We journey through this life with fellow pilgrims along the way, ultimately every individual taking a unique itinerary to get there. We never settle down in this world as if it is our destination. To do so is a bit like trying to live in a train depot or airport. It could be done. It would not be home. It would be very uncomfortable. We will never be truly at home unless we are on the road to the city that God is preparing!

Lord,
You are taking me to a better country. Life’s road is my home. I look for the place You are preparing with longing. Everything earthly… my career, my home, my stuff, my money…. None of it will satisfy this eternal craving. You have put this longing in my heart to follow You to my true home! Oh let me not think that this current country through which my life now travels is all that there is for me. Just lead me to keep stamping my passport through new stations that You have planned, and never let me settle for these poor substitutes for Your better country that awaits me in Your time at the end of my travels!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment