Tuesday, February 16, 2021

reject impulsive desire


Desire without knowledge is not good,
and whoever makes haste with his feet misses his way.
Proverbs 19:2

Waiting and trusting God are the better parts of wisdom. This proverb warns against getting in a hurry. The problem is letting my desire lead. When I let desire push me without waiting on the knowledge and wisdom of God to inform me, I run the risk of making very foolish choices that might well be fraught with sinful consequences. Desire is a very bad guide.

This goes against the Disney-esque advice of our culture that wants you to “set Your heart” on your dream... “anything your heart desires will come to you.” That’s dangerous. Vision must be informed by the truth of God’s revelation first and foremost. Dreams must be accompanied by wisdom. Desires must be led first by worship of God. Otherwise our desires will become demanding idols themselves and our hopes will never be satisfied.

It also takes time to do this. We must reject the reckless, restless demands of our desires leading us. We must seek God in prayer, search His Word for direction, seek good counsel from His people, and then act in His wisdom. We must reject the impulsive pressures of our own sinful demanding wants that can be so urgent, recognize that the world system pushes us to “have it all”, and fight the temptations thrown at us that seem great ideas, but break us when we succumb foolishly to our impulsive desires.

Jesus,
Be my desire! I trust in You. I pray that You will graciously lead me in Your wisdom to reject my sinful, impulsive wants and trust my Father to always provide all that I need. I will trust Your great and precious promises to give me knowledge that will align my desires with Yours!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment