Friday, February 19, 2021

not ashamed


But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.
2 Timothy 1:12

Four times in the first chapter of 2 Timothy Paul reminds Timothy not to fear or to be ashamed:
  • God did not give us a spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:2).
  • ...do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner (2 Timothy1:8).
  • I am not ashamed (2 Timothy 1:12).
  • Onesiphorus...was not ashamed (2 Timothy 1:16).
Why this call to reject fear and stand unashamed? Because persecution was strong (Paul was, after all, in prison as he penned this letter) but the gospel was stronger!

We reject fear because God has given us power, love, and self-control through the transformative gospel (2 Timothy 1:7). We are not ashamed of the fact that Jesus and His people have suffered, but instead share in that suffering for the advance of the gospel (2 Timothy 1:8). This is done by the power of Christ’s grace, not by our own toughness (2 Timothy 1:9-12a). We are convinced of this truth and power and then trust Jesus to guard us because He has entrusted us with the gospel message and the work of the kingdom (2 Timothy 1:12). We refresh other believers when we earnestly minister to each other as we suffer by being unashamed of our Savior and our suffering (2 Timothy 1:16-18).

O God Who gives power, love, and self-control, I pray that I too can have a life lived unashamed of the gospel! May I guard this trust that You will keep in me. And no matter what, I reject a spirit of fear so that unashamed, You may be known.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment