Monday, April 20, 2020

everyone a slave


I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.
Romans 6:19

Scripture teaches that everybody is a slave to something. That is Paul’s point in Romans six. Either you are still enslaved to a sinful nature that leads you in consistent sinful disobedience to God, or you are a runaway slave from sin, now willfully choosing to be the slave of Christ so that through Him you can live in righteousness. This new slavery is a much better, and actually liberating lifestyle!

Everybody serves someone or something as their authority. To make that choice on in our “natural limitations” will naturally lead us into sin, impurity, and disobedience to God’s Law. And those things will all lead to death (Romans 6:21). To trust Christ, turn from sin, believe that His death and resurrection are the only solution for the sin problem in each of us, and live by faith in Him leads to God’s Spirit producing in the believer right living and holiness. That commitment ends in eternal life (Romans 6:22-23).

So my choice today is to turn my back on what my sinful self demands: selfishness, pride, greed, and lust. Instead, I will look to my Savior to find grace, humility, mercy, and hope. As those holy parts of Jesus fill my heart and thoughts, I can change to be His slave, leading me to my soul’s complete, joy filled freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment