Wednesday, December 18, 2019

faith works


You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works...
James 2:22

It is clear from the careful teaching of James that faith and action both must be together and found in a believer’s life. I do not work to earn my salvation. That comes by faith in Christ alone. But faith that is real will be accompanied by good works that follow in the natural outcome of saving faith. A faith that does not do something after belief is not true faith and is a foreign concept in the New Testament.

There is much that could be said about this truth. But really it is about the need for much to be done with this truth. Faith that trusts in Christ alone begins to live in a way that Christ lives. We look like Jesus in what we do. This is shown by caring for others in need (James 2:14-16). It is shown in active friendship and walking with God (James 2:23). It is shown in sincere and risky hospitality (James 2:25). Faith must show in our actions. We do something in the change that the gospel brings.

Father,
Help me to walk with You today, to pay attention to the ways that faith changes me and calls me to live like Jesus. Make my eyes open to opportunities for my faith to care for others. I want to do what faith believes. Make me see, and follow through, with ways my faith will work.... for Your praise and glory!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment