Monday, July 22, 2019

thinking and turning


When I think on my ways,
I turn my feet to your testimonies.
Psalm 119:59

The more I know about me, the more I know I need to be attentive to following Jesus by obeying God’s Word! My ways are almost entirely problematic. I make some selfish choices. I can turn my life catastrophically bad in just one wrong choice. And I’ve done some personally stupid stuff in my days on planet earth! I need direction, wisdom, and defining purposes that all are bigger than me regularly in front of me. God’s Word gives me all of this and more.

But as the psalmist is careful to picture here, it must go beyond just knowledge and be borne out in obedience. I must “turn my feet” to walk in a new direction. God’s truth changes me and I must also change. Choosing to live by the eternal, life-giving principles in scripture is a regular, daily lifestyle. I think on my ways as God’s Word and His Spirit confront them, and I turn to follow Jesus.

O Lord,
You know I fail when I apply no scriptural thought to my ways. Keep me in Your Word, with truth close to my heart, informing my will. Keep me true to You. Show me Your ways so that I may know You well and pay attention to the ways I would take that need to change. And as I think about my choices, give me insight for the life You want me to enjoy in You!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment