Monday, July 15, 2019

my counselors


Your testimonies are my delight;
they are my counselors.
Psalm 119:24

One consistent, constant stream of thought has been poured into my life. It began when I was seven years of age and my parents came to faith in Christ. Since that time, the Bible has become a primary source of life wisdom. Later, in my teenage years I made a conscious decision myself to take following Jesus quite seriously. I know it meant getting to know the Bible well. And I distinctly remember a morning in 1981 where I walked down to the corner drugstore, bought a couple spiral notebooks, and determined to begin journaling my way through regular meditations upon scripture.

My life has now been filled with the counsel of the Bible. God’s Word has been my constant companion, my warning when I’ve been often off course, my sustainer when I’ve felt alone, my coach when I’ve needed improvement, my comfort in loss and sorrow, and the great revealer of Jesus to me. As such, the Bible is by far my most passionate delight above any other source of life direction.

The precepts of the Word of God have directed me in my choices. They have often corrected me when those choices have been sinful or selfish. God’s truth has encouraged me, helped me, condemned sin in me, corrected me, and built me up in God’s restorative grace! Thank God that His book can be plainly read, understood, and followed. I have no regrets in doing so, for His testimonies are my delight! God’s Words have been my dearest and most trusted counselors.

No comments:

Post a Comment