Thursday, July 18, 2019

praying too small


...and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:19

This is a powerful thought to wrestle with as you are waking up in the morning! Paul’s deep prayer for the Ephesian church to have a full, rich, intense relationship with Christ is very unlike my typical prayers. Paul wants them to know the riches of his glory (Ephesians 3:16). He wants them strengthened with power through His Spirit (Ephesians 3:16). He prays for Christ to dwell in their hearts (Ephesians 3:17) so that they are rooted and grounded in love. And then Paul prays they would know Christ’s love in a way that surpasses knowledge so that they might experience lives filled with God to the brim. It is all quite glorious. And it makes me cognizant of my often “glory-less” prayers.

I read this prayer and I realize that I am guilty of very small praying in deed. I don’t think it is wrong to ask for “daily bread” sorts of things as Jesus taught. But even Jesus ended His model prayer focusing on God’s great kingdom, glory, and power forever! Great and grateful praying should fill my heart with the majesty of the Almighty!

Lord,
Forgive my sometimes petty, and rather selfish prayers. They lack luster when they focus on me. I want the vision of prayer that Paul prayed for the Ephesians... in awe of the wonder of Christ, flowing with the power of Your Spirit, expecting the wonders of the gospel to keep transforming my day to day! Help me to pray with a bigger theology and a praise-filled vocabulary.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment