Tuesday, March 8, 2016

reason to worship

And at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem they sought the Levites in all their places, to bring them to Jerusalem to celebrate the dedication with gladness, with thanksgivings and with singing, with cymbals, harps, and lyres.
Nehemiah 12:27

The walls were rebuilt in Jerusalem, and it was time to celebrate and dedicate the finished work. There was no bitter distinction or harsh rivalry between secular and sacred authority under Nehemiah. The Levites were purposefully sought out to make the dedication complete. In fact, the walls would not have been dedicated without their leadership. There would be no celebration unless it was led by worship.

I'm not interested in bemoaning the secular/sacred divide in current culture. America has never been nor ever should be a theocracy like ancient Israel was, for Israel was revealed and decreed so by God's holy, written word. But what I am compelled to think upon today is the celebratory nature of the worship of the Lord. And it doesn't only happen in a church service. Sometimes it never happens in a church service, sadly. If Israel, however, could worship, happy to complete a civil project and rejoice in God outside the temple, why can't Christians also worship outside the confines of a Sunday service? By all means we should. I should worship, looking for ways to show my gladness to God, with thankfulness, and with gladness at many joyous and important occasions.

Lord,
When I see joy, help me to pause and worship You. When my heart is happy at some good news, lead me to sing Your praises in worship. When I am touched by sorrow or somber realizations, draw me to Your holy presence. I want my life occasions to be marked by worship.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment