Thursday, March 3, 2016

perfect love... nothing to fear

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
1 John 4:18

God loves me perfectly. I will struggle to know and show love in all my human relationships because human actions and emotions are broken by sin. But God is holy and perfect. His love and His grace to us in Christ Jesus are perfect. Only by God's love in Christ can I know a perfect love.

Jesus died for my sins. He did so out of love for me. He did so that by faith I may trust Him alone, be forgiven in His love, and be confident that no charge stands against me in the Day of Judgment because His grace and love covers it all (see 1 John 5:17). That is how His perfect love casts out fear. What else can I fear if God's wrath is satisfied in my Savior?

The simple truth that John reminds me of in this passage is that at some root, fear has to do with sin. Every time. We fear the punishment our sins deserve. Fear is that red warning light calling us to pay attention to the gospel. But when I trust Christ for the forgiveness of sins, fly to Him in repentance when I do sin, I am free from that fear's power. God's perfect love, in Jesus, casts away that awful fear. Thank You, Lord!

Lord Jesus,
Confident in Your work, I rest in the peace of knowing my sins are forgiven. Hallelujah! All my sins are washed away! Your grace soaks through my soul, filling me with Your love and peace. I can stand in You complete one day, confident in You, for You will plead for me in the Day of Judgment saying, "This one I have loved! His sins I carried on My cross. He is forgiven and clothed now in My righteousness." Such wondrous love!

What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul!

When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb I will sing; 
To God and to the Lamb, 
Who is the great I AM, 
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing.

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free 
I’ll sing His love for me,
And through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
And through eternity I’ll sing on.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment