Thursday, March 31, 2016

disciples walking in the truth

For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth.
3 John 3

Disciples live with one passion: following Jesus. They walk in the Truth for Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6). The Apostle John's phrase, "walking in the truth", is his summary of the joy of living in discipleship as an obedient, growing, authentic follower of Jesus. It is what visibly and personally demonstrates Christian Faith for both the Church and those outside the Church to know.

Walking gets a person somewhere. It moves us from one place to another. And it is good for us. Walking is the way a person progresses through life. 

I can testify to the physical benefits of walking. I've lost 25 pounds in the eight months I've worn a Fitbit and committed myself to walk the ten thousand steps per day it suggested for my health. That five miles per day has led me to a better place physically. At first I found it hard and resisted, even resented that reminder that I had so many steps left to finish. But now, I enjoy the 45 minutes or so it takes to complete a few miles at the end of my day. The walking itself is the joy. It slows my life down to appreciate the world within God has placed me for His glory.

I believe that walking in the truth of the gospel, with scripture and the Holy Spirit as my guide and measure of direction, is doing a similar thing for my soul.

The Apostle John wrote about his joy in seeing disciples "walking in the truth". It was because he was a disciple who committed to make other disciples who truly followed Jesus and made even more disciples. There is no higher purpose or pleasure in life for a Christian than to follow Jesus and make disciples. It is what the Church lives for. And it is what martyrs have died for. We all are to be seriously walking in the truth as our goal in life and in death.

Lord Jesus,
Lead my steps today as I walk in the truth. And as I interact by Your grace and mercies with other people, help me to deny my self, and through Your Word lead me in the knowledge of You so that with those other people, I may walk in Your truth.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment