Wednesday, October 21, 2015

seeking the God Who knows my heart

And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.
1 Chronicles 28:9

This charge that David gave to his son Solomon as he entrusts the young man with the construction of the temple serves as a vivid reminder to live holy before the Lord. David's prayer for his son as Solomon steps into the role of king in Israel is that they young man love and serve God first. All else would be great if Solomon's worship was first set on God.

David knows this because he knows that God knows Solomon intimately. Every plan of the mind and feeling in the heart is understood by God. He knows our wants and motivations, our needs, our deepest concerns, and whether our hearts are truly faithful to Him. This is why we must train our hearts to seek the Lord.

With my Bible open each morning I want to keep this advice to Solomon in my mind. My time in God's Word and in prayer happens not out of sheer duty, but so that I may come in my need to seek wisdom from the Lord Who knows my heart. He also understands it, which I can't say that I always do! I come to Him, not to reveal something to Him that He does not already know, but instead to find something from Him that I do not have and desperately need: God's wisdom for my day. That is the start to serving God with my whole heart and with a willing mind.

Many times that means I come to Him admitting what He already knows: that I am a sinner whose thoughts and plans are not holy as God's are. I also often come in praise, thanking God that His wisdom and care has saved me in some new capacity or experience. But always... every day... in many ways, I must seek God. And I find Him always faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment