Tuesday, October 20, 2015

leaps of doubt

And the people quarreled with Moses and said, “Would that we had perished when our brothers perished before the Lord!"
Numbers 20:3

There is strong, irrational emotion in the crowd as the people of Israel complain to Moses about their lack of water. God had led them to the place where they were currently camped so that He might supply their need. How quickly they had forgotten the God Who had rescued them and met every need in the wilderness. They really don't know what they are saying. They are consumed with irrational doubt.

Forgetting all their recent history in which God has miraculously cared for His people, they myopically focus on one problem: there is no running water near their camp. And in their complaining they actually state that those who died before them in God's judgment (see Numbers 11, 14, and 16 for context) were actually better off than they were. They actually ask God just to kill them off, in so many words, rather than go through the experience of waiting for Him to supply this need. It is absolutely nothing less than crazy talk.

When we take our eyes off of the Lord and look only at natural circumstances, we lose sight of faith, and make wild, crazy leaps of doubt. Yep, I don't much buy into the concept of leaps of faith. I do, however, find myself making from time to time huge leaps of doubt. And it is the craziest thing I do. I leap to doubt when I think a sinful act will provide for me better than God does. I leap to doubt when I let a sinful, selfish attitude dominate my heart because I briefly enjoy a feeling of vindication, self-justification, or revenge. I make a leap of doubt when I think that my own choice or action was good enough to prove me right. Oh how I need to believe the gospel by faith in Jesus, and turn to the rational truth of my Savior's work for me a sinner. 

Lord,
forgive me and save me from my grumbling leaps of doubt!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment