Tuesday, October 27, 2015

according to his own mercy

But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
Titus 3:4-5

The gospel is the display of God's richest grace and mercy to us. Paul constantly reminded believers of this in his epistles. This short little personal pastoral note to Titus is just another example of it. In the midst of giving instructions on how Christians ought to behave in the world, Paul is compelled to carefully point out that the reason why we can submit to governing authorities and live in such a way to display  gentleness to all people (Titus 3:1-2) is because of the change that the gospel brings (Titus 3:3-7). It enables us to do good works because through Christ's work we are renewed by the Holy Spirit.

So the gospel is my only hope. Because Jesus appeared, lived, died, and rose again, my hope is secure. Because He has saved me, I can truly live. I could never do what is right, since I am born a sinner, but because Christ saved me by His own mercy and regenerated me, the Holy Spirit now equips me to do good works through Him.

O Lord,
Help me never to forget the only value in my life: the good news of the gospel saves and empowers me. May I devote myself to this truth.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment