Monday, September 30, 2024

Hard questions? Good God!


But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
Psalm 13:5

There are times when life feels nearly unbearable. We say thinks like: “I can’t take this any longer” or “this is unfair” or we ask “When will I be happy again?” In this song of lament written by David, five such questions dominate the first two verses. David lets the questions pour out to God:
  1. “How long, O Lord?” - This is genuine weariness of the soul.
  2. “Will You forget me forever?” - the pain feels never ending.
  3. “How long will You hide Yourself from me?” - David feels ignored with unanswered prayer.
  4. “How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day?” - wanting the pain to end, David is introspective and overwhelmed, but the pain is unceasing: all day, every day, in a steady drumbeat of depression.
  5. “How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?” - the feeling is a kind of defeat or loss.
Good lament, however, not only directs hard feelings and questions at God, it also appeals for answers from God. If the first two verses are questions, the next two verses are requests made in faith:
  1. We need answers! “Consider and answer me.” - I know You hear me, God!
  2. We need encouragement! “Light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death…” - I know You encourage me, God!
  3. We need security and stability! “…lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken” - I know You stabilize me, God!
And with that faith fixed upon God, David remembers not only what he believes, but what God has always done. Remarkably, joy comes even in the shakeup! David trusts God’s “hesed” — His faithful, steadfast, covenant-keeping love. This is Old Testament grace poured out on a mixed up, messed up heart. David trusts despite trauma. And David chooses praise in the perplexity: “my heart shall rejoice in your salvation”. Faith knows that in the end, even in the pain, the perplexity, and the problems all dissolve in the praise of the God Who works His purpose! God’s bountiful grace still comes with the questions. Can I believe God this same way? Will I? Yes… Jesus suffered for me so that I can now rejoice in the One Who has carried my sorrows and rose again from my death. I too can rejoice in salvation provided by God!

BONUS:
Listen to Psalm 13 in song by The Corner Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment