Thursday, January 25, 2024

The full reach of character


Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.
1 Timothy 3:7

I’ve always thought this last qualification for elders and pastors to be very interesting. I do think it may often be neglected by evangelical Christians the most. The neglect of this vital requirement is one thing that contributes to a near epidemic of failed church leaders. If we gravitate toward leaders with charisma, charm, rhetoric, and gimmicks, we will only be disappointed because we have ignored character. 

The list of qualifications in 1 Timothy for pastors and elders is all about character combined with one essential skill: the gift of teaching. There isn’t a thing about charisma, or successful career management, or business acumen, or stage persona. It is all about known character, and interestingly enough, the real proof of that character is the testimony of the man outside the church. Is he thought of well in his community?

Real character cannot be faked. It shows in real life – in family, in the marketplace, in the neighborhood, and on the job. That’s where we go to see the fruit of the Spirit and the maturity of the gospel on full display. A church leader who is seen as a jerk by a waitress, who slips into road rage behind the wheel, who is always at odds with a neighbor, who schemes or deceives, who fails to own up to sin with gospel confession, or who screams at the umpire at his kid’s ball game is not going to be “well thought of by outsiders”.

The gospel is always on display in Christians. It is even more scrutinized in church leaders. It is for this reason that what Jesus does on the inside should be known on the outside. This is humbling for me to acknowledge given my 35+ years as a pastor. My ministry outside the church may be more vital to my walk with Christ and my care of the flock than my ministry inside the church. May I not fall into the snare of duplicity. May grace mark all my relationships. May people see Jesus in me… within the church and outside of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment