Thursday, January 6, 2022

two important spiritual truths


Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer;
listen to my plea for grace.
In the day of my trouble I call upon you,
for you answer me.
Psalm 86:6-7

There are two spiritual convictions that King David demonstrates in this prayer that also should be part of the lives of Christians. They require humility and faith to accept and live out. But they show what it takes for our souls to be properly positioned in prayer. And they will take us far in our walk with the Lord.

The first conviction is a humble request for God’s grace. David pled for God to be gracious to him. He knew that his sins did not make him worthy of God’s favor. So in humility he prayed for God to be gracious. Grace is ALWAYS our overwhelming need, and if we will humbly believe and pray that way in every prayer, our souls will cease to be demanding. We will forfeit pride and entitlement. We will realistically confront our need for our Savior. And God will grant grace to those who truly believe and live this way.

The second conviction is confidence in God despite circumstances. In the day of trouble, David could pray to God, KNOWING God answered. His faith was a confident expectation. He prayed not in a baseless superstition, but in a confidence in conversation that God heard him. He was as confident in conversation with God as he was talking to a member of his royal court.

Lord,
May I lean into Your grace which is my constant need. I never will need less than grace or more than grace in this life. May I confidently speak with You in all my concerns knowing that You love me, hear me, and answer my prayers.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment