Thursday, January 13, 2022

joy & worship


For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work;
at the works of your hands I sing for joy.
Psalm 92:4

Two thoughts stir me from this verse: 1) God’s work should motivate worship. 2) Joy itself is a kind of worship. Both thoughts are worth some reflection today.

God’s work should motivate worship. Each morning dawn is a fresh work of God, a gift given to me and to all the world. I know that Creation delights me. The beauty and power of God in the work He has made, both point to the even greater delight of His awesome power and glory in His Presence. And so my love of a walk through the woods, an alpine view, a flowing stream’s music, or a still lake’s whisper are all motivators to worship the God Who gives me this life. His work in His world makes me glad.

God also works in lives. People are His portraits and our lives together are His stories. I am privileged as a pastor to interact at a deep level in the storyline plots and the stunning portraits God is creating still. This is His work as well, and He makes me glad in it.

Joy itself is a kind of worship. God made our emotions in His image. He loves to delight in his children and we should delight in Him. Worship isn’t all about reciting the correct creed only, but also rejoicing in our Redeemer regularly! And that joy is a true mark of heart-engaged worship in and of itself.

Lord,
Your great works call me to contemplate You in awesome wonder. And the joy You give me, transcendence I find in one-on-one time in Your Word and prayer, enthusiasm as I sing Your praise with Your people, and joy and gladness at everything from delicious BBQ, to a trout in my landing net, to my heart-beating at the top of a mountain pass, all of these are the joy of worship and I thank You for the fullness of life that You grant in these blessings!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment