Thursday, November 18, 2021

the best surprise


Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.
Matthew 24:42

It’s early morning as I write this. I’ve had a long night before hitting the pillow. I’m short an hour or so of my normal sleep cycle. It would have been so easy to stay in bed today. But this reminder from Jesus Himself rings like an alarm clock in my soul, stirring me from thoughts of slumber to realize I must be awake and alert. My Lord will return and as His own teaching reminds me, wicked days mean I need to expect Him all the more.

I’m not a prophecy aficionado. You won’t find me in a robe and sandals on a street corner holding “The End of Near” on a home made sign. But I do believe Jesus is coming again to judge this world and to physically reign over all of us. I also believe Jesus warned us to be ready for that time. Certainly our world is callously dismissive of the concept of accountability before a holy God. If we aren’t living in days like “the days of Noah” (Matthew 24:37-38) that preceded the Genesis Flood, then we can’t be far from them.

My soul must be ready. And so, rather than curse the darkness of these days, I choose to await the bright dawn of the coming Son of Man, working early to be ready. Jesus will return. This will ALL be dealt with… the whole mess will resolve in Jesus! Creation will be restored to all that God intends. A new heavens and a new earth will be the home of righteousness and God’s people will rejoice in peace in it. I must now do my best to be alert for my Master.

Wake up! The Day is drawing near. And our Lord wants us ready for His surprise! (Matthew 24:44)

No comments:

Post a Comment